Welcome to Transition University of St Andrews' My Turn Account! Here we base our bike and tool loan systems.
Our Bike Loan Scheme aims to provide you with quality “refurbished” secondhand bikes for long term, low cost rental. These are re-furbished by volunteers and professional bike mechanics so that they are safe, roadworthy and efficient.
If you would like to loan a bike, please create an account and save a debit card. Available bikes and their descriptions are shown on our inventory. You can filter bikes by frame type, size and type (electric, mountain, town, road etc.). To reduce contact during COVID payments are made online. Please write in the notes at reservation confirmation stage whether you want to collect your bike from Woodburn Place (east Sands) or the Observatory Workshop (near DRA halls) . A lock number will be emailed to you along with confirmation of bikes availability and location. Tools will be available at pick up points to adjust seat height but please ensure frame size is suitable for you before booking by looking at chart below. You can email Transition at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Our bikes are listed under Small, Medium and Large frame sizing. Use the table below to find the frame size suitable for you.
We measure most of our bikes from the centre of the bottom bracket (BB) to the top of the seat tube. Some styles of bike might have shorter tubes depending on style and we will try to account for this. You can see more information on https://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing-hybrid
Prices are as follows:
Plus Deposit = £70
Renters must agree to our Bike Rental Agreement (outlined below). A £70 deposit is included in the initial payment.
The deposit will be returned to the renter after the return of the bicycle. These costs will be returned in accordance with the following Bike Rental Agreement:
"Bike Rental Agreement August 2019
By paying for the hire of our bikes you have entered into an agreement with us as follows. The bike belongs to Transition University of St Andrews who is responsible for:
(i) checking, servicing and ensuring the bike is roadworthy at the start of the agreement
(ii) repairing mechanical faults due to component failure during the term of the agreement, as long as the bike has been looked after
(iii) providing a replacement if the bike is unusable due to a mechanical fault.
The Renter is responsible for:
(i) regular lubrication, care and maintenance of the bike
(ii) mending punctures
(iii) replacing batteries in the lights
(iv) security (including theft and vandalism)
(v) returning the bike at the end of the term in a good condition.
In line with the £70 deposit that is paid upfront prior to renting, each renter agrees to attend at least two Bike Pool ‘Fix-your-Own’ sessions during the period of rental; these are publicized on the ‘St Andrews Bike Pool’ Facebook page and Transition website. The Renter also agrees not to cycle their Bike Pool bike on the beach.
Failure to meet these responsibilities will result in the loss of some of the deposit (up to the maximum of £70).
Guideline costs for deposit retention:
- Loss of lock: £10
- Loss of helmet: £15
- Loss of Lights: £5
- Non-attendance of Bike Pool Sessions: £10
- General Neglect: £10
NB: Damage due to wear and tear is not charged.
The full deposit of £70 shall be returned at the end of the rental subject to the bike being returned in good condition and attendance of the required Bike pool sessions.
I hereby sign this Liability Waiver Form, relinquishing any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers.
The system will automatically send you a reminder when your bike is due, but please bear with us if this occasionally gets out of sync!
We hope you enjoy cycling around St Andrews, and beyond!
Tool Loan - St Andrews Community Toolshare
What is Toolshare?
The St Andrews ToolShare is a community group run by Transition University St Andrews that helps students, staff of the university and local residents to share and maintain tools together. It is based at The Kernel at St Andrews Botanic Garden.
How does it work?
ToolShare works just like a library! You can borrow tools and equipment instead of having to buy them. You can loan out tools for up to two weeks.
It costs £15 to join and this can be purchased through the MyTurn website: (https://transitionusta.myturn.com/library/). You can view and reserve tools online, but need to bring photo ID to your first tool collection to have your account validated.
If you would like to find out more about the Toolshare project, or get involved, please email Winks at email@example.com or Transition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to Covid, we have had to limit loan outs to the weekend, booking out from our Woodburn Transition office, East Sands, and bringing back on a Monday. This then allows staff and volunteers to thoroughly deep clean the borrowed item and rest it for loan out again on a Friday. Tool Share are also busy installing a locker system outside the Students Union where tools can be picked up and returned. The launch of this facility will be announced on our Transition media sites, with more details on timing, lock codes etc. With battery operated tools, batteries will be issued fully charged and ready to use, but chargers are included should additional charge be needed. It should be noted that consumables such as bits for drills or sand paper for sanders are not necessarily supplied and should be purchased separately. Although TS is not responsible for consumables, we will try and make sure that most of these items are available where possible as local hardware stores do not always stock specialist items.
Fridays 10 till 5 loan out
Mondays 10 till 5 returns
*More times will be announced as more volunteers get involved.
The Legal Bit
Before borrowing tools, all members must abide by the following agreement:
Tool Library Borrower’s Agreement & Tool Use Policy
1. Members must be aged 18 or over to borrow tools from Transition University of St Andrews Tool Library.
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) agree to our Borrowers Agreement and Tool Use Policy and provide Membership Details; (b) sign the Waiver Form; (c) verify their identity. Verifications of the Member’s identity is accomplished by presenting a valid photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address dated within the last three months.
3. We will keep your name, address and email as a registered member on our database so that you can be contacted regarding any important decisions or changes in the organisation. For more information please see our Transition constitution.
4. By taking possession of an item, the Member is certifying that they capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner. Transition University of St Andrews accepts no responsibility for demonstrating usage.
5. Only the Member is authorised to use Transition University of St Andrews tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of staff of Transition University of St Andrews.
6. All tools borrowed are to be returned to Transition University of St Andrews by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during opening hours.
7. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee. This late fee will be £1 per working day the tool is not returned after its due date. Transition University of St Andrews may replace severely damaged tools, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items. Fines will be no more than the cost price of the tool if bought new.
8. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve damaged tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of legal action and assess the damaged Member with the cost of any such action. Transition University of St Andrews also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
9. Tools may be reserved through a Member’s Myturn account or by contacting Transition University of St Andrews. All reservations must be confirmed by a Transition University of St Andrews staff member, volunteer, or automated response to be effective. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to make an exception to this policy.
10. Members may renew each tool a maximum of two times if (a) the Member either contacts Transition University of St Andrews or renews via Myturn the day before that the tool is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the tool. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
11. The Member agrees that Transition University of St Andrews is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
12. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify Transition University of St Andrews of the issue on return, if not earlier.
13. All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept Transition University of St Andrews’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to the Transition University of St Andrews’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item.
14. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
15. The Member must present both their membership card and a valid photo ID every time they come to collect tools or the loan will be refused.
16. Membership is valid for one calendar year.
17. We will automatically register you to our monthly newsletter email list which you can opt out of.
18. Reserved items which are not collected on the day the reservation was set for will automatically be cancelled. If you are unable to come the day you reserved the items from please contact staff to change the dates of the reservation to avoid disappointment.
· I affirm that any membership information provided to Transition University of St Andrews is current, true and correct and consent to any verification deemed necessary.
· I hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of tools I am borrowing from Transition University of St Andrews. I am aware Transition University of St Andrews, its partners, directors, employees, members, and volunteers claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any tool for any particular use.
· I do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, waive any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the tools that I am borrowing from Transition University of St Andrews.
· I state that I will use whatever protective equipment is appropriate for the tools I am borrowing.
· I state that I am capable of using the tools I am borrowing, knowing how to use them, and that I will use the tools I am borrowing in a proper manner.
The tools in our collection are for the use of Transition University of St Andrews Tool Library members. As per the Borrowers agreement and Tool Use Policy, borrowers are responsible for any damage they have caused. Members must also agree to the following statements:
I state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Borrower’s Agreement and Tool Use Policy, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a liability waiver form, relinquishing any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews.
Please make sure you have signed below acknowledging that you have read and agree to Transition University of St Andrews’s Borrower’s Agreement and Tool Use Policy.
Transition University of St Andrews webpage.
Cycling in St Andrews Facebook Page.
St Andrews Bike Pool Facebook Group.